Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > A good example of the wrong way to do it is the Full Disjunctions
> > project. Great idea, Great project, not bitrot and hard space because it
> > hasn't been touched or maintained sense release.
>
> Don't get me started there.  The decision was split between PostgreSQL
> core 50/50 for inclusion in contrib, yet it was not included.  As I
> said at the time, people will move on and the project would go to
> pgfoundry (which I called the graveyard) and die; which is exactly
> what happened.  And, in the Full Disjunctions project's defense, the
> community was wholly at fault.  He posted several times for -----------------------------
> suggestions and most of the community responses were, "why would we
> care about or want that."
>
> The community can't rely on contributors, especially students, to
> spend months of their time pushing ideas through a gauntlet of
> negativity.

Jonah, I have no idea what "fault" you are trying to blame on the
community in the above statement.  The author didn't discuss the idea
with the community before spending months on it so we have no obligation
to accept it in the core.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com