Re: Best way to store and retrieve photo from PostGreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: Best way to store and retrieve photo from PostGreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> schrieb:

> >Store the pictures in the filesystem and only the path, description and
> >other metadata in the database. My suggestion ;-)
> >Andreas
> >
> Don't do that - the filesystems are not transactional (at least not the
> usual ones), so you'll lose the ability to use transactions. Imagine what

There are pros and cons, i know. If someone need transactional control
on pictures, then store them in the database, right. It's also simpler
to do a complete backup, i know.

On the other side, if you have only a desktop-computer and you will be
able to look at the pictures with other programms (for instance), it's
simpler if you have the pictures in the filesystem. And, large binarys
in the database is more overhead for the database, the database itself
stores the binarys also in the filesystem and every read involves the
filesystem and the database.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)