Re: \prompt for psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: \prompt for psql
Date
Re: \prompt for psql
List pgsql-patches
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> That also requires a "reasonable shell", which all platforms don't
> >> have...
> >
> > I think doing any sort of reasonable scripting around psql requires a
> > reasonable shell.  Or next someone will suggest implementing loops and
> > conditionals in psql.
>
> ... Now that you mention it :)
>
> psql is a shell. It is the postgresql shell. I don't see any problem
> with continuing to extend the postgresql shell to a more functional
> platform that is independent.

At least it'd help those poor people trying to do conditional COMMIT or
ROLLBACK based on the transaction status.  Maybe it's not such a bad
idea.

On the other hand, seeing how the history line numbers patch is still
nowhere to be seen, I don't think we should be expecting you to send a
patch ... ;-)