Re: zic data updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: zic data updates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> [ shrug... ]  And by the time we release 8.2, it'll no doubt have
> changed twice more.  Folks who live in countries where DST rules change
> with no notice will probably have to get used to downloading and
> installing zic updates for themselves, because there's no chance that
> our releases will be perfectly up to date.

Maybe we need to point out somewhere in the docs how to update our zic
database. Upgrade to a newer postgresql version is not the "right"
answer though. Maybe a small note in Chapter 14 or 22?

> For the Red Hat RPMs, I've been considering modifying the installed
> file tree to link to /usr/share/zoneinfo so that Postgres would track
> routine updates to the tzdata package automatically.  This relies on
> knowing that the system uses the same zic database format we do, and
> where it keeps it, so I fear it's not a very portable answer :-(.
No, it's not. Separated projects have different directions sometimes so
it's not worth the risk.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/