Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 06:51:36PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> There is a binary installer for windows (at least XP, don't know about
> windows 2000, but would be easy enough to look on the website).  The
> dumps of a database are generally cross-platform, I think.  I don't know
> that you will need to do anything special.  What have you tried?

Dumps are completely platform agnostic. The files in $PGDATA are not.
If you're dual-booting between Windows and Linux, you might be able to
use the same data directory on both, but I wouldn't bet on it. I
certainly wouldn't do anything like that in production.