Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: Migrating database from Unix to Windows
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hackenberg, Rick wrote:

> I am new to Postgresql and I am in the process of trying to migrate 2
> databases from a unix box to windows 2000. Is there an easy way to
> export the database across platforms? If not, what is the best way to
> do this task? I wasn't sure if I could take a dump of the databases on
> the Unix box and rerun the sql scripts in Windows to recreate the
> databases. Any insight or assistance that you can offer would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, I am using PostgreSQL8. Would I still need to use Cygwin since
> this release is supposed to work on a windows platform. Thanks in
> advance.

There is a binary installer for windows (at least XP, don't know about
windows 2000, but would be easy enough to look on the website).  The
dumps of a database are generally cross-platform, I think.  I don't know
that you will need to do anything special.  What have you tried?

Sean