Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:20:22AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On the other hand, I don't understand why DocBook would be Latin-1
> > only. What would be the point of that limitation?  Some googling
> > seems to reveal that people indeed uses other charsets, UTF-8 in
> > particular (but also Big5, Latin-2, etc), so apparently this isn't
> > set in stone.  (I admit that they mainly talk about XML Docbook
> > though).
>
> DocBook SGML is Latin 1; DocBook XML, like all XML, is UCS-4.

This sheds a new light on the XML vs. SGML thing you said before.
While it's not necessarily compelling enough to force a switch, it is
a substantive difference that we can actually see.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!