Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:27:51PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> To my mind the real problem is that one of the principal output formats
> we are interested in is HTML, and there is no dotless-i entity in any
> version of the HTML standard.  I trust I need not point out again the
> difference between "my browser recognizes this construct" and "it's in
> the standard".

Sure there is, HTML4 includes all of Unicode, thus also the dotless-i.
They gave up assigning names to them after latin1, but numerical
references are in the standard also (decimal and hex).

I created a simple docbook document on my computer with ı and
ran openjade over and in the output file it is converted to ı.
Openjade knows how to generate valid character references. The input
file is attached, I compiled it with the command:

openjade -V draft-mode -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -i output-html -t sgml /tmp/a.sgml

For dsl file just copy the stylesheet.dsl file in the postgresql source
tree.

Why it doesn't work in the current docs I don't know, but I think we can
rule out limitations of HTML or Docbook.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment