Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 11:54:47AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > Well you could always use te HTML4 ı which most tools should
> > > understand. At least browsers have good support for this kind of
> > > entity.
> >
> > Please review the recent thread on pgsql-docs before reiterating all the
> > suggestions.
>
> Oh sorry, it wasn't clear from the commit entry. It's not that DocBook
> doesn't support the character or that it can't be represented. It's
> just not supported in the document encoding we're using.

That's not how I understand it.  The document encoding is only related
to how high-bit characters are interpreted, I am told by Peter, but for
some reason the toolchain just doesn't support UTF8, even though if you
use ı in SGML it does come out right in HTML, but new toolchains
throw an error for it.