Re: postgresql rising - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: postgresql rising
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:05:00AM -0400, AgentM wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 23:57 , Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
> >I have seen a steady progressive rise in the number of postgresql
> >related jobs and the quality of those jobs.   Major companies are
> >apparently rolling out critical infrastructure on postgresql
>
> I have noticed the same.  One thing you didn't mention is how
> postgresql gets into such companies.  I highly doubt there is a new
> general managerial acceptance of postgresql itself- I haven't had
> any  of my management mention it from management magazines- rather
> it  seems to be a grassroots effort by developers who started out
> using a  free LAMP stack, know the benefits, and then bring that
> experience to  the workplace.

That's one stage, and I thing we're getting past it.  Now, management
is enthusiastic to have FOSS OSs like Linux and FreeBSD as server OSs,
and they're coming around, company by company, to the idea that this
FOSS stuff applies to server software in general.

Even in client-side software, people don't look at you as though
you're insane when you say you're using Firefox or OOo :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!