Re: Release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:

> > > Here we go again with another developer who keeps making endless promises for
> > > vaporware patches that never show up.  We've already set on-disk bit-map
> > > indexes straight on this and I think giving you special treatment sets a bad
> > > tone for the project.  At this point I think we have to cut the release notes
> > > from this release...  maybe they can be added back in for 8.3.
> >
> > Very good one!
>
> Yeah, it was funny, but it points a problem which is that we are
> overloading you to do the release notes thing.  I agree that we should
> push individual developers to include release notes updates on the
> patches they submit.  They are easier to write than the documentation
> update in any case (which as you say, not everyone submits), mainly
> because they are way shorter.
>
> (Or maybe not _push_ them to do that, but at least not forbid updating
> the release notes which AFAIK is the current policy.)

There are problems with this.  First, since everyone isn't going to do
it, I still have to go through all the CVS logs, and then I have to
merge the created list to avoid duplicates.  Then there is the problem
that we need consistent wording through the release notes, so again, I
have to wack around some more text.  Doing it in one pass is the most
reliable, and efficient.