Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Well, it's taken us the full month to get this far through the queue, so
> >> I'd sure like to have more people on board reviewing next time.  Alvaro
> >> helped but I miss Neil Conway, and some other people have helped in the
> >> past.  However --- the present situation has nothing to do with lack of
> >> reviewers, it's lack of time to finish the patches.
>
> > I did try to get us additional help in reviewing.  Neil was unavailable,
> > and Alvaro could only give part of his time.
>
> It strikes me that setting feature freeze in midsummer might not be the
> best strategy for having manpower available to review --- people tend to
> be on vacation in August.  Maybe the answer is just to move the dates a
> bit one way or the other.

Hmm...but if you're going to do that, why not do that now: push the
beta date back by, say, a month (or however long you had in mind) for
this cycle.  That way, the two major patches that are likely to be
dropped for this cycle stand a chance to make it into this release,
and you accomplish your goal of moving the dates a bit all at the same
time.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com