Re: [GENERAL] invalid byte sequence ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [GENERAL] invalid byte sequence ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:13:39PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I agree with Martijn that putting these into libpq's API
> > seems like useless clutter.
>
> Where else to put it?  We need it in libpq anyway if we want this
> behavior in all client applications (by default).

Is that so? I thought we were only talkng about psql. Even then, I'm
wondering if we should alter the current behaviour at all if stdout is
not a tty (i.e. run as a pipe).

And as a counter-example: pg_dump should absolutly not use the client
locale, it should always dump as the same encoding as the server...

Have a nice day,