Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:56:10PM +1200, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 8/21/06, mark@mark.mielke.cc <mark@mark.mielke.cc> wrote:
> >Is there an interest, or any active project to examine PostgreSQL in
> >the area of 64-bit processors? Has it already been done? I don't recall
> >seeing a reference to it in my travels. I'm also not sure on what to
> >expect for results, as the territory is still new. 64-bit processors
> >have existed for a while, but 32-bit processors have been the popular
> >choice, making 64-bit support an after thought?
> That's certainly just a reference to the wintel world? AIX, HP-UX
> and Solaris-Sparc have been 64-bit for a while now...

I don't think so. In the Open Source world, most projects are still 32-bit
centric, regardless of how many years the products have been supported on
64-bit platforms.

What application were you thinking of that takes full advantage of 64-bit,
making the 64-bit application much significantly faster than the 32-bit
application? The only area I am aware of, is video processing.

It's often a surprise to people that an upgrade to 64-bit, regardless of
CPU architecture, too often ends up slower, rather than faster.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/