The Art of SQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Gordon Haverland
Subject The Art of SQL
Date
Re: The Art of SQL  (Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info>)
List pgsql-novice
Hello.

I'm a little more than half way through this book (The Art of
SQL), doing a book review of it for my local LUG.

All in all, it looks like a very good book to me.  I do think that
it should be looked at by novice SQL people, if for no other
reason that to try and keep certain bad habits from forming.

For the novice, I think some other document which talks more about
indexes and foreign keys is needed as well.

One thing which seems to be lacking (from the table of contents, I
don't see it coming up in what I have left to read) is some kind
of discussion as to what kind of stuff should be done outside of
the database.  To me, it just seems reasonable that some tasks
are better suited to the front-end.

Is this a reasonable expectation?  That there are some tasks that
should not be handled inside the database?

Thanks,
Gord