Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Bort, Paul wrote:

> Does PL/Java really have to be in core to be tested in the build farm?
> Could the build farm code be enhanced to test non-core stuff? (I like
> the idea of a separate status 'light' for non-core.)

Andrew posted about his desires for the future of the Buildfarm, and it
included being able to pull in projects from pgFoundry and run tests on
them ...

> Regarding the packagers who don't include non-core components that their
> users might like, would a README.distros help? It could suggest good
> things to include, where to find them, and tips for building. This could
> also distinguish the mature packages on pgFoundry from the ones that are
> not quite ready for prime time: when a package's maintainer(s) think
> it's ready for production, they could submit a patch to the
> README.distros that adds the package. (I'm not attached to the filename,
> it just seemed less confusing than README.packagers.)

I don't know how Linux does it for packages, but in FreeBSD, "ports" are
created based on what ppl are using, and, generally, are built/submitted
by ppl using a particular piece of software ...

They aren't necessarily that difficult to create, but it does generally
require someone to 'care enough' to MAINTAIN it ...

----