Re: US Telephone Number Type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: US Telephone Number Type
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Is the difficulty of creating a telephone type the reason it is not in
> > postgresql already?
> >
> > Should the telephone type be able to do something such as:
> >
> > SELECT * from tableFOO where telephone.areacode = 555;
> >
> > Or would regex be better?
>
> makes more sense to store them in a a canonical format and then find
> things with pattern matches.

Also,  due to the problem of keeping area codes segregated in large growing population centers,
there is strong talk about allowing overlapping area codes.  Dialing locally will require 11
digits instead of the usual 7.

I know that this is already the case in the state of Georgia and there is talk about adopting it
in California.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.