Re: postgresql live-cd - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: postgresql live-cd
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Guys,

I'm announcing that I'm on the tailend of completing my own implementation of
pg_live.  It's based on Ubuntu so it has full installation capabilities if
the user wants it.

The full version weighs in around 720mb but that's going to drop after I have
removed the language packages that aren't required in an English only
environment.

There's a lot of documentation that I've added in added to the standard
reference documentation. All of which is accesible through its own http
webserver.

Here's an excerpt of the iso's README file:

===============================
FEATURES
Pg_live is a sophisticated environment that runs a number of services on
bootup and includes:

- Apache, which is enabled with PHP
- SSH server thus allowing secure logins from other workstations that are on
the same network
- PostgreSQL, version 8.1.4
- pgpool, the PostgreSQL connection pool daemon

The PostgreSQL server has been preconfigured with the following procedural
languages:
         plpgsql
         plr
         plperl
         plperlu
         plpythonu
         pltcl
         pltclu
         plphp
         plphpu

The following interpretative programing languages are included:
         perl
         python
         tcl
         PHP

OTHER
- Postgresql contributions
- SLONY (with lots of example scripts)

POSTGRESQL CLIENTS AND UTILITIES
        pgadmin3
        phppgadmin
        psql

The console based web-browser, ELINKS, is ideal when running in "console only"
mode. Thus permitting access to otherwise inaccesible GUI features such as
pg_live's Apache PHP client, phppgadmin, and of course the included reference
documentation.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
  - GUI, 160MB RAM (default boot, all services running)
  - GUI, 125MB RAM (runlevel 4, no services running)
  - CONSOLE, 55MB RAM (single user mode, runlevel 1, no services running)
  - CONSOLE, 90MB RAM (runlevel 3, all services running)

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertb@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com