Re: postgresql live-cd - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: postgresql live-cd
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello Koen,

I've downloaded your iso and had a look at it.

On Friday 30 June 2006 07:03, Koen Martens wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just tested this. The intro is nice but I am unable to launch X. I
> > wouldn't sweat it, because it is a common problem with my laptop. My
> > Laptop requires vesa, but X detects the ATI and tries to use it (but it
> > fails).

My own laptop loaded up fine into X, looks nice.

Can you have konquorer appear automatically on bootup? Add english language bookmarks on konqueror for the postgres
referencesand configure the home page button to your introduction page.

> I bet there's a boot option for that, probably 'xmodule=vesa' (see
> also http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes).

It might be useful if you could offer a README screen for a particular function button as the CD boots up and explain
whatto do for certain situations such as suggesting command line options for the boot up sequence.

Maybe you could install the console based webbrowser, elinks, which will permit the user to read the postgresql
documentationwithout the need of a graphics environment. Have it load up automatically in one of the virtual consoles
suchas tty1.

> > I did bounce over to a console and postgresql is running, but nothing in
> > it.

ahh, sample databases with some tables ... maybe some csv files can be made available with some instruction on how to
loadthem thus saving the user any grief if his machine is short on RAM.

What do you think about configuring the user's database to have procedural languages already installed?

Can you document and state at boot up time the minimum amount of RAM for graphic and non-graphic environments? Running
theiso on a 'free' version of vmware is an easy way identifying the requirements.

Hope this is helpfull.

cheers