Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wednesday 28 June 2006 16:20, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> >    The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size, which
> > is a # that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly defined
> > developers' are all listed at:
>
> I stick with Greg's estimate of "about 200" that he did for 7.4.  That
> included:
>
> core contributors
> minor patch submitters
> beta testers (the ones who submitted bug fixes)
> key contributors to closely associated projects (like JDBC, ODBC, and
> OpenFTS)
>
> It was a lot of research on his part which is why I don't want to do it
> again.

I wonder if that number would need to be bumped up in a rather handwavy manner
(amybe +50) on the grounds of companies like enterprisedb, fujitsu,
greenplum, and sun, which I would guess have developers working behind the
scenes on issues thier companies care most about, which then get filtered up
through a few individuals to the community at large.  Additionally we also
have more "closely tied" projects like slony and npgsql to draw in more
people.  Thoughts?

--
Robert Treat