Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David Fetter
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 01:20:19PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size,
> > which is a # that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly
> > defined developers' are all listed at:
>
> I stick with Greg's estimate of "about 200" that he did for 7.4.  That
> included:
>
> core contributors
> minor patch submitters
> beta testers (the ones who submitted bug fixes)
> key contributors to closely associated projects (like JDBC, ODBC, and
> OpenFTS)
>
> It was a lot of research on his part which is why I don't want to do
> it again.

Also pertinent to such assessments is the Open Source Maturity Model
<http://www.seriouslyopen.org/nuke/html/index.php> which has some
interesting ways of measuring projects.  As you might guess,
PostgreSQL is right off the scale on every one of their metrics :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!