Re: Re-thing PG_MODULE_MAGIC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Re-thing PG_MODULE_MAGIC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:01:53AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, new text:
>
>     The <quote>magic block</> required in all PostgreSQL-supported libraries
>     is checked to guarantee compatibility.  For this reason, non-PostgreSQL
>     libraries cannot be loaded in this way.

Heh. "guarantee"? We only check four things and it's possible to change
the system in all sorts of subtle ways (--integer-datetimes) that won't
be picked up. Ofcourse, for 99% of modules this is not a problem but
I'm not sure if the word "guarantee" is appropriate.

Maybe just "checked for compatibility", or "determine" or "ascertain".

Have a nice day,