Re: [HACKERS] [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 08:56:14PM +0200, Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> Also, assuming there is a "pginstall dbanme packagename" interface,
> a -contrib package should register all its subpackages within that
> system.  So, you install postgresql-contrib, and then you can type:
>
> pg_package install mydb index/ltree

Incidently, this reminds me of something I proposed late last year
relating to easy installation of modules:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00476.php

To idea being that for most modules you only need a script to "install"
it (declare functions and types). For these modules you can actually
embed the script into the library itself. Thus, the installer only
needs to be pointed to the shared object and it's done.

If this installer tracked installed modules, you could use pg_depends
to track what installed what and thus uninstall stuff afterwards. It
might help pg_dump upgrades across versions.

Anyway, it was just a thought and it didn't generate any comments at
the time.

Have a nice day,