Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Date
Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> You want an in-depth comparison of how a server disk drive is internally
> >> better than a desktop drive:
> >>
> >>     http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf
> >
> > BTW, someone (Western Digital?) is now offering SATA drives that carry
> > the same MTBF/warranty/what-not as their SCSI drives. I can't remember
> > if they actually claim that it's the same mechanisms just with a
> > different controller on the drive...
>
> Well western digital and Seagate both carry 5 year warranties. Seagate I
> believe does on almost all of there products. WD you have to pick the
> right drive.

That's nice, but it seems similar to my Toshiba laptop drive experience
--- it breaks, we replace it.  I would rather not have to replace it.  :-)

Let me mention the only drive that has ever failed without warning was a
SCSI Deskstar (deathstar) drive, which was a hybrid because it was a
SCSI drive, but made for consumer use.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us