Re: Slow restoration question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Slow restoration question
Date
List pgsql-performance
BTW, you should be able to check to see what the controller is actually
doing by pulling one of the drives from a running array. If it only
hammers 2 drives during the rebuild, it's RAID10. If it hammers all the
drives, it's 0+1.

As for Xserve raid, it is possible to eliminate most (or maybe even all)
of the overhead associated with RAID5, depending on how tricky the
controller wants to be. I believe many large storage appliances actually
use RAID5 internally, but they perform a bunch of 'magic' behind the
scenes to get good performance from it. So, it is possible that the
XServe RAID performs quite well on RAID5. If you provided the results
from bonnie as well as info about the drives I suspect someone here
could tell you if you're getting close to RAID10 performance or not.