Re: Slow restoration question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Will Reese
Subject Re: Slow restoration question
Date
List pgsql-performance
RAID 10 is better than RAID 0+1.  There is a lot of information on
the net about this, but here is the first one that popped up on
google for me.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multLevel01-c.html

The quick summary is that performance is about the same between the
two, but RAID 10 gives better fault tolerance and rebuild
performance.  I have seen docs for RAID cards that have confused
these two RAID levels.  In addition, some cards claim to support RAID
10, when they actually support RAID 0+1 or even RAID 0+1 with
concatenation (lame, some of the Dell PERCs have this).

RAID 10 with 6 drives would stripe across 3 mirrored pairs.  RAID 0+1
with 6 drives is a mirror of two striped arrays (3 disks each).  RAID
0+1 (with concatenation) using 6 drives is a mirror of two volumes
(kind of like JBOD) each consisting of 3 drives concatenated together
(it's a cheap implementation, and it gives about the same performance
as RAID 1 but with increased storage capacity and less fault
tolerance).  RAID 10 is better than RAID 5 (especially with 6 or less
disks) because you don't have the performance hit for parity (which
dramatically affects rebuild performance and write performance) and
you get better fault tolerance (up to 3 disks can fail in a 6 disk
RAID 10 and you can still be online, with RAID 5 you can only lose 1
drive).  All of this comes with a higher cost (more drives and higher
end cards).

-- Will Reese http://blog.rezra.com