Re: mailing list moderation of subscriptions - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: mailing list moderation of subscriptions
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> Actually, Kris is referring to ppl sending in a subscribe message, but not
>> sending back a confirmation ... the list moderator has the ability to
>> approve such requests, which I general do when I clean out the lists ...
>> the problem is that I know that I've had issues where that confirmation
>> mail gets lost as spam (ie. Yahoo's spam features send it to the bulk mail
>> folder, that I've had experience with ppl losing emails in) ...
>
> I guess my question is why do we have a confirmation at all?  If someone
> else tries to subscribe me then I have a small window where I can reject
> it, but otherwise it will be approved by a moderator?

My big worry is ppl slipping through the cracks due to anti-spam filters
... but, you do bring up a good point, why bother with the confirmation in
the first place ...

Anyone else have comments on this?  It kinda breaks down into two paths:

1. remove 'confirmation / followup' email to subscribe
2. have moderators just ignore "admin requests"

I don't like 1 myself, as that leaves things open to a dictionary attack
kind of situation, where someone floods the lists with subscribe messages
... but, on the other hand, the way i've been doing things, those would
just get approved anyway ...

*groan* ... I think I just talked myself into 2 ... ignore them ...

>> But, if Kris wants me to stop, that's cool ... there are other lists I
>> don't touch ...
>>

> I'd appreciate it if you still moderated messages in case I'm travelling or
> otherwise unavailable.

Oh, for messages themselves, I definitely will ... I'll just skip the
subscribe/unsubscribe/set messages :)

----