Re: In plpgsql: difference between := and = - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David
Subject Re: In plpgsql: difference between := and =
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:43:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David <dbree@duo-county.com> writes:
> > Could someone explain the why's and the difference?

> There is no difference between := and = in plpgsql: the scanner treats
> them as the same token.  You didn't show us your problem in any detail,
> but I'll bet you made some other change that fixed whatever was
> bothering you.

Well.. I went back and recreated a new setup and sure enough.. this
time, it works both ways..  I dunno what I did.. I could almost have
sworn that the only thing I did was delete the ":" when it began
working.

I can almost picture seeing the statement that you _must_ use ":=" in a
variable assignment, and that there was a difference, but apparently I
dreamed it or it's a fact in some other application..  This belief was
what prompted the question.

Sorry for the noise, and thanks for the reply setting this straight.