Re: Source ports for psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Source ports for psql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:35:33PM +1100, Matthew Smith wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> Thanks for the reply. So in other words, the postgres clients do not use a
> specific range for the source port (as a specific decision by the developers,
> or as written down in a given spec), but rather relies on the operating
> system's socket implementation to assign a source port?
>
> So in practice the source port can be any non-privileged port (from postgreses
> point of view)?

Any port at all. In Linux at least you can specify the range for port
selections made by the kernel, on my current machine it appears to be
1024 to 4999. PostgreSQL doesn't particularly care. Most programs don't
select a port for outgoing.

> I only ask this clarification to be sure to pass on the correct info on to the
> administrator of the firewall...

The suggested config for working though a firewall is to setup an ssh
tunnel and work through that.

Have a nice day,

Attachment