Re: big databases & hospitals - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: big databases & hospitals
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:13:02PM +0100, Tomka Gergely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to write a few pages about Postgresql, to convince some suits. They
> have a few millions of records, on a few site, but they want to know the
> practical limits of Postgresql. So i need some information about the
> biggest (in storage space, in record number, in field number, and maybe
> table number) postgresql databases.
>
> Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
> if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
> happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
> list, and only started to browse the archives.

We have a customer that has around 5000 tables and hasn't had any
serious issues from that number of tables (other than \d sometimes not
working in psql, but IIRC Tom put a fix in for that already).

As for raw size, 100G databases are pretty common. If you search through
the list archives you can probably find some examples.