big databases & hospitals

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
Hi!

I need to write a few pages about Postgresql, to convince some suits. They
have a few millions of records, on a few site, but they want to know the
practical limits of Postgresql. So i need some information about the
biggest (in storage space, in record number, in field number, and maybe
table number) postgresql databases.

Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
list, and only started to browse the archives.

Thanks.

--
Tomka Gergely
Tudom, anyu. Sapka, sál, doksi.

Re: big databases & hospitals

From
"Javier Carlos"
Date:
   This is the homepage of a Hospital/Healthservice Information System, I'm
not so sure but I think it can use various DBMS, including PostgreSQL:

http://www.care2x.org/

  Regards,

  Javier

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:13:02 +0100 (CET), Tomka Gergely wrote

--
nediam.com.mx

Re: big databases & hospitals

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2006-01-14 ragyogó napján Chris Mair ezt üzente:

> > Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
> > if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
> > happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
> > list, and only started to browse the archives.
>
> Hi,
>
> have you seen this case study:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/shannonmedical

Yes, and i found this page:

http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/viewtopic.php?t=82

which is better than this small something on the postgres page. Quotes
like this:

"The FreeBSD/PostgreSQL combination is extremely flexible and
robust."

the sweetest music for us. But two example better than one, and i can't
find technical details, the size of the data, by example. I can only guess
the architecture (single node, single cpu, no HA or expensive RAID,
because AFAIK FreeBSD in 2000 was not to good in this areas).

Thanks, of course!

--
Tomka Gergely
Tudom, anyu. Sapka, sál, doksi.

Re: big databases & hospitals

From
Chris Mair
Date:
> Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
> if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
> happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
> list, and only started to browse the archives.

Hi,

have you seen this case study:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/shannonmedical

Bye, Chris.

Re: big databases & hospitals

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On 1/14/06, Tomka Gergely <tomka@zeus.gau.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to write a few pages about Postgresql, to convince some suits. They
> have a few millions of records, on a few site, but they want to know the
> practical limits of Postgresql. So i need some information about the
> biggest (in storage space, in record number, in field number, and maybe
> table number) postgresql databases.

here you can see some limits of postgresql:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova
(DBA: DataBase Aniquilator ;)

Re: big databases & hospitals

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:13:02PM +0100, Tomka Gergely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to write a few pages about Postgresql, to convince some suits. They
> have a few millions of records, on a few site, but they want to know the
> practical limits of Postgresql. So i need some information about the
> biggest (in storage space, in record number, in field number, and maybe
> table number) postgresql databases.
>
> Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
> if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
> happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
> list, and only started to browse the archives.

We have a customer that has around 5000 tables and hasn't had any
serious issues from that number of tables (other than \d sometimes not
working in psql, but IIRC Tom put a fix in for that already).

As for raw size, 100G databases are pretty common. If you search through
the list archives you can probably find some examples.