Re: psqlODBC 8.01.0106 Development snapshot - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Ludek Finstrle
Subject Re: psqlODBC 8.01.0106 Development snapshot
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hello

> > > Why has the version number changed from 08.01.xxxx to 8.01.xxxx?
> >
> > Typo?

It's mistake. I'll change it in the future.

> > > Where is the CVS tag for the release?
> >
> > It a snapshot, not a release, and contains patches that are not yet
> > committed for users to test. Most psqlODBC users cannot compile it
> > themselves so test builds are produced for them.
>
> Well, something called a snapshot usually means a copy of the CVS tree at a
> certain time.  If he makes releases that contain patches that are not in CVS,
> he should refrain from calling them snapshots.  "Test release" would be fine.
> (He could even make -lf releases. :) )

I'm againist named it release. I think it's better give to it completely
different name from "release" which may mean official release. It may lead
to smaller user's confusion.

It couldn't be only my changes. We talk about it with Dave that the
difference is in last two numbers. XX.YY.ZZ00 mean release, XX.YY.ZZAA
where AA != 00 is development snapshot - developers source code at the
moment.

> > > Why is the source tarball not bootstrapped for Unix builds?
> >
> > Pass.

I'm sorry I don't understand. What does it mean?

> > > Doesn't Dave have a release building procedure that you or
> > > anyone else could
> > > use?
> >
> > Nope. It's that simple I never really even considered writing one. And
> > wouldn't apply to a dev snapshot anyway.

I don't think we need create whole release. It could be better have more
documentation about it in FAQ.

Regards,

Luf