Re: Improving Inner Join Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Frank Wiles
Subject Re: Improving Inner Join Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:16:47 +0200
"Andy" <frum@ar-sd.net> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I have the following query:
>
> SELECT count(*) FROM orders o
>       INNER JOIN report r ON r.id_order=o.id
>       WHERE o.id_status>3

> How can I improve this query's performace?? The ideea is to count all
> the values that I have in the database for the following conditions.
> If the users puts in some other search fields on the where then the
> query runs faster but in this format sometimes it takes a lot lot of
> time(sometimes even 2,3 seconds).
>
> Can this be tuned somehow???

  Do you have an index on report.id_order ? Try creating an index for
  it if not and run a vacuum analyze on the table to see if it gets
  rid of the sequence scan in the plan.

   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org