Re: FOREIGN KEYs ... I think ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: FOREIGN KEYs ... I think ...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Now, what I want to do is add a FOREIGN KEY (again, I think) that when
>> incident_summary.status is changed (either closed, or reopened), the
>> associated records in incident_comments are changed to the same state ...
>
> Why not just get rid of the status column in incident_comments, and
> treat incident_summary.status as the sole copy of the state?  When you
> need to get to it from incident_comments, you do a join.

I may end up getting to that point ...

> The foreign key you really ought to have here is from
> incident_comments.incident_id to incident_summary.id
> (assuming that I've understood your schema correctly).

'k, where I'm getting lost here is how do I get status changed in
_comments on UPDATE of incident_summary.id?  There doesn't seem to be
anything for ON UPDATE to 'run SQL query' or some such ... or I'm reading
old docs :(  This is the part that I'm having a bugger of a time wrapping
my head around ...

----