Re: Convertion of date/time binary format to text format - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Re: Convertion of date/time binary format to text format
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Jan 02 09:26, Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD) wrote:
> Could u give me one more favour..
> That is can u please elobarate on bytea order conversion...?

You can find lots of information about "byte order coersion" on the
internet. I'd suggest reading these links:
 http://www.cs.umass.edu/~verts/cs32/endian.html http://www.netrino.com/Publications/Glossary/Endianness.html

But for a "quick & dirty" answer:
o. You don't have to make any byte order coersion on types smaller   than 0xFF = 256 bytes - like char.
o. You _should_ make byte order coersion on types bigger than   256 bytes - like int. From PostgreSQL
documentation'slibpq-example.html:
char *iptr;int   ival;
   iptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, i_fnum);
   /*    * The binary representation of INT4 is in network byte order,    * which we'd better coerce to the local byte
order.   */   ival = ntohl(*((uint32_t *) iptr));   Otherwise, you'll encounter different results in data transfers
ondifferent architectures with different endianness.

Regards.