Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 06:02:03PM +0100, Johnny Ljunggren wrote:
> Scott Ribe wrote:
> >>From what I understand this will be possible but I may need to roll my
> >>own replication code to handle data conflict issues? Especially since
> >>center 1/2 may be down at the same time and then might change the same
> >>data.
> >>How do the tools for this compare against the ones from Oracle?
>
> <snip some useful inputs>
>
> >There is no simple solution, and the out-of-the-box solutions require a
> >whole lotta configuration work.
>
> That is what I have been suspecting. Luckily the databases aren't that
> complex so we may be able to fix them so that there will be no conflicts
> (in my dreams perhaps...) that need manual intervention.
>
> Anyhow, are there any (big) companies that will do support for a
> PostgreSQL installation?

Yes, there are a number of companies offering commercial support.
Pervasive (who I work for) is one; there's also Command Prompt and
others. http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support has a
good list of options.