Re: Greylisting enabled ... - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Greylisting enabled ...
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Just so that everyone is aware, greylisting is now enabled on
>> the vServer where the mailing lists go through ... not that I
>> expect to hear of any, but if you notice any problems, please
>> let me know ...
>
> Is this something we should write a blurb on the mailinglist info page
> on the web about? Considering it'll delay people submission a bit the
> first time they post frmo a new IP?
>
> (Or perhaps that delay will just be drowned by the other general delay
> of the lists?)

I've temporarily turned it off anyway ... need to figure out a better way
of doing it ... 'submissions' aren't a big issue, as the delay for
greylisting is minimal ... the problem is that majordomo has feature in it
that auto-unsubscribes ppl from the list if their email bounces over N
times ... so, if we send out an email through pgsql-general to 1000
subscribers, and 100 bounce back (reasonably normal), those 100 are all
"new" to the greylisting system, since the return addresses are all
*individual* (<listname>+<unique identifier>@postgresql.org) ... server
load wasn't being affected, but the mail queue on the MX servers were
being bogged down fast, since they were trying to resend *through* the MXs

Need to get all the MXs setup first, *then* the main server, so that the
MXs see it as the 'second attempt' and bounce it straight through better

Will let y'all know once I have this setup a *wee* bit better to deal with
majordomo's "ACKs" ...

----