Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
List pgsql-advocacy
Here is a followup to this email.  A few people asked me questions off
list, and here are my replies:

[ Comment mentioning Open Office and Mozilla have not been attacked.]

Cconsider that one thing that has restrained Microsoft (and previously
IBM) was US Department of Justice oversight.  Oracle does not have such
oversight, so they are more likely to act aggressively. Basically, just
because attacks have not happened in the Linux or Open Office areas
(Microsoft territory) does not mean they will not happen in the database
area.  Oracle has a history of aggressive activity, and it has shown
with MySQL now.  I doubt many would have thought Oracle would have
purchased technology that MySQL depends upon before it happened.

Oracle certainly will not win, and I think they know that, but as
project leaders, we should try to be defensive to prevent attacks from
inflicting harm to the project.

[ Comment asking what we can do to protect ourselves.]

We can't do much, actually.  The trademark thing can be secured, but
other than that, I see no other defenses we could use.  We can't prevent
people from being hired, and we can't guard against patent attacks.

I am willing to write up something for our web site if people think that
would be helpful.