Re: Can a pg_dump file be loaded into a different OS? - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Can a pg_dump file be loaded into a different OS?
Date
List pgsql-ports
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:12:06AM -0700, Anye M. Sellers wrote:
> I've got a client that has Postgres running on Linux
> but my own development environment is on Windows.  Is
> it feasible for me to have him do a pg_dump through
> the pgAdmin tool and then for me to restore that file,
> or are  the files formatted differently in both OS's?

See the documentation for pg_dump:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/app-pgdump.html

"Dumps can be output in script or archive file formats.  Script
dumps are plain-text files....  Script files can be used to reconstruct
the database even on other machines and other architectures...."

"The archive files are also designed to be portable across
architectures."

--
Michael Fuhr