Re: psql from Linux script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: psql from Linux script
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:25:07PM +1200, Bernard wrote:
> Dear Marko on the Postgresql Mailing List
>
> A whitelist based spam filtering system is simple to understand.
> postgresql.org emails get through. Individual member emails may not
> get through.
>
> In contrast to what you write, it is actually the list server that is
> braindead because it creates messages that have:
>
> - A "To" header value of pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> - A "From" header value of the individual sender.

No, it forwards the message exactly as you sent it. If you want replies
to your message to be sent only to the group use the Reply-to or
Mail-followup-to header. See, my message says reply to me and the mail
server should not fiddle with that.

Search the web, some people say that mailing lists should never fiddle
with email headers, others say they should rewrite them completely. We
are not going to have this discussion here again, the archives are
already full of it. It is a choice and for this group this is the
better choice. Read the archives for details.

> The postgresql.org server is the only braindead list server I have
> seen so far.

Then you have not seen many. Most of the ones I'm on do it this way.

Have a nice day,

Attachment