Re: LOG entries: "could not receive data from client" ? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: LOG entries: "could not receive data from client" ?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 03:34:30AM +0200, me@alternize.com wrote:
> we're lately migrating our MSSQL server to PGSQL 8. the performance is
> great and i'm more than happy with PG. still, i've found quite a lot of
> the following logfile entries:
>
> 2005-08-26 18:54:26 LOG:  could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine
activelyrefused it.

> sometimes the error is accompagnied with this one:
>
> 2005-08-26 15:59:23 LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> - but most the time not.

The error appears to be ECONNRESET, or whatever the Windows equivalent
is.  Apparently the client abruptly closed the connection instead
of doing it nicely; if you were to run a sniffer on the connection
you'd probably see the client sending RST instead of following the
proper application- and TCP-layer shutdown protocols.  Maybe somebody
else can suggest why that might be happening.

--
Michael Fuhr