Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc,

> At this time, there is no Foundation being formed *other then* the
> Advcacy Foundation, which, as was agreed to when it was formed, has
> ownership over neither the code, or the trademark ...
>
> If, at some time in the future, we do create such a Foundation though,
> then we can discuss transferring the trademark over ...

Well, that's going to be sooner rather than later.   As noted on the
foundation list, we're still stalled with the IRS, so it may make sense to
re-form the foundation.   At that time, it's likely to be a different sort
of structure.

However, I need to get the political process moving first, as well as
better legal counsel.   Fortunately, the latter is now just a matter of my
meeting with few attorneys and picking one; we have offers.

> As I have discussed with Josh Berkus in the recent past, and we have
> discussed on -core several times, we have no problems with coming up
> with a more formal "Grant of Use" then what exists right now (right now,
> its just always been a "verbal thing") ... but I hadn't heard anything
> further from Josh about it, so assumed he was working on stuff as
> concerns that already ...

Either a transfer or a sublicense would work.   I don't that that the
decision between the two needs to be made now.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions