SHM_LOCK under Linux ... do we use this? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject SHM_LOCK under Linux ... do we use this?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Under FreeBSD, we have an option (kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1) that doesn't
allow shared memory to be swap'd ... under Linux, there is apparently an
application level option that can be used for this purpose:
    A privileged user can prevent or allow swapping of a shared memory    segment with the following cmds:
       SHM_LOCK    prevents swapping of a shared memory segment. The user                   must fault in any pages
thatare required to be present                   after ...

I've done a grep through the code, to see if its something that we do use, and
it doesn't seem to come back with anything ... I believe its considered
common knowledge that 'swapping' for a database is evil, so am wondering
if there is some way that we can make use of this to help reduce/eliminate
that from happening?

The "A privileged user can..." part makes me think no, but figured I'd ask

 ----