Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From CSN
Subject Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers?
Date
Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers?  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers?  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
List pgsql-general

--- Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:
> > > necessitates
> > >
> > > Sending mail from a database function (or doing
> > > anything else that
> > > involves external side-effects) is generally A
> Bad
> > > Idea, for reasons
> > > that have been covered many times in the list
> > > archives.
> >
> > Why, exactly? In this situation I just set up a
> > trigger that sends a welcome email to newly
> inserted
> > members. Very convenient.
>
> Why cant your application handle this?
> Otoh, why dont you provide a function to send mail,
> which takes some parameters and just let your users
> use them? No need for everybody to write her own
> mail function.

Convenience! I want the email sent whether the member
is added via the web interface, directly in the
database, from the command line, etc. I don't see any
downside. It's only one user that'll be using this
function.

CSN