Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers?
Date
List pgsql-general
Am Donnerstag, den 04.08.2005, 01:35 -0700 schrieb CSN:

> > Bad
> > >
> > > Why, exactly? In this situation I just set up a
> > > trigger that sends a welcome email to newly
> > inserted
> > > members. Very convenient.
> >
> > Why cant your application handle this?
> > Otoh, why dont you provide a function to send mail,
> > which takes some parameters and just let your users
> > use them? No need for everybody to write her own
> > mail function.
>
> Convenience! I want the email sent whether the member
> is added via the web interface, directly in the
> database, from the command line, etc. I don't see any

Well, I also do such things with a small script which
basically LISTENs to notify from database, spools the
mails and go sleep again.

> downside. It's only one user that'll be using this
> function.

If so - why bother if the user can/cannot use untrusted
language? You write the function one time as superuser
and ready you are.

This isnt different if many users are going to use this
function. But they dont have to write or change it to use it.

--
Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>