Re: Can't connect after restart - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Audrey Bergeron-Morin
Subject Re: Can't connect after restart
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
> No, the installer doesn't touch the data directory,
> which is where the
> config file sits.

That might explain why the setting was wrong. I was
watching when our developer first installed it, and I
know for sure he changed some settings. And I know he
didn't change them the second time around, so if the
installer didn't overwrite the file then it might have
carried over. Still doesn't explain the next
question...

> > Another question: why did it work right after the
> install? Is
> > the service started without the conf file the
> first time around?
> Um. No. That's still weird :-) You are absolutely
> sure this was it?

It's working fine now, and the port setting is the
only thing I changed, so yes I'm pretty sure that was
it. I still haven't solved the "lost password" issue
though, but I'm less worried about that.

> Any chance the old postmaster was still around
> servicing requests
> without having reloaded the config filE?

Probably. The guy who installed it was going pretty
fast, and I'm not sure he went and stopped the
postmaster in between; he probably just hit uninstall
and then double-click on the installer file. But it's
still weird.

Install -> (work fine)
-> reboot -> (not working)
-> Uninstall
-> Reinstall -> (work fine)
-> reboot -> (not working)

If the old postmaster was still servicing that would
explain why the first install worked up to the point
we rebooted, and then stopped working. But then why
did the reinstall make the DB work again? I must be
missing something really obvious again...