Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 11:19:26AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Most of the time that MySQL gets picked up it is because somebody in a
> tie, called another guy in a tie, who forced some poor journalist to
> write about something he really has no clue about, just to spout FUD
> about everybody BUT MySQL.

And you don't think that's worth countering?

Yes, PostgreSQL isn't technically a company. But the fact remains that
when people look at both websites, they see a whole bunch of success
stories about MySQL on their site, and next to nothing of the kind on
the PostgreSQL site. I find it hard to believe that this doesn't make
MySQL look like a better choice ("Wow, look at all these companies that
are using it!")

Understand that I'm not suggesting changes to the community, or even
legal entites. What I'm saying is that while it's good that individual
companies are getting press about their PostgreSQL offerings, there's
not really anything that makes it easy for people to see that. Putting
case studies from these individual companies on http://postgresql.org
would be a good start towards fixing this. Publishing prominent
customers would help as well.

Put another way, MySQL is making a well planned, coordinated effort to
gain market share as an OSS database. PostgreSQL has no such effort, and
without it I believe it's headed down the road to eventual obscurity.
Yet if there was some cooperation between the community and the numerous
commercial companies, the message of PostgreSQL, and why it's actually
*better* than MySQL, would be out there for everyone to see.