Java's set of timezone names (was: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux) - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Vadim Nasardinov
Subject Java's set of timezone names (was: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux)
Date
Re: Java's set of timezone names  (Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn@redhat.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wednesday 20 July 2005 13:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm ... does Java have a standard set of timezone names?  If so,
> does it bear any resemblance to the zic database names?

I'm not sure how Roedy Green knows this, but this is what he has to
say on the subject in his Java Glossary:

   http://www.mindprod.com/jgloss/timezone.html

   The names for timezones used in Java comes from a list maintained
   at NIH by Arthur David Olson. For reasons only he understands,
   Pacific Standard Time is called America/Los_Angeles.

As far as I can tell, Olson's timezone data can be found here:
  ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/

Sun's JDK puts timezone data in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/zi/

Sun's JDK's timezone info seems fairly different from what, say,
Fedora Core distributes in its tzdata RPM: