Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 08:51:46PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > The following patch removes the GUC stats_start_collector.  The stats
> > > process is now always started.
> >
> > WAIT a second!!!
> >
> > That was *not* the agenda; the collector is only supposed to start if
> > you turn on at least one of the collection options.
>
> Really?  I thought the process always started and it just sits there if
> nothing is fed to it, no?

No, the process is only started if you ask for it (which is true by
default).

> In fact, if it wasn't started from the beginning, we couldn't enable
> query strings without restarting the server.

That's true -- if you start with the collector disabled, you can't
enable query strings.

> The current default is true, meaning it always started.

Yes, but you can turn it off.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"La libertad es como el dinero; el que no la sabe emplear la pierde" (Alvarez)