Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:19:55PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Lamar Owen (lowen@pari.edu) wrote:
> >
> > > You haven't looked at the OpenOffice.org code.  <wince>
> >
> > Yes, I have.  Yes, it's steeper.
>
> That seems rather odd to me.  I havn't really looked at the
> OpenOffice.org code very much but generally I've found the PostgreSQL
> code to be pretty well commented and generally well thought-out.  I've
> also found the acceptance, understanding and hand-holding of the
> PostgreSQL developers to be *better* than I've found in other
> communities (such as the Linux kernel...) that I've developed and have
> had code included in.

Certainly the code is exceptionally beautiful.  Anyone who has seen both
Postgres' and MySQL sources can confirm that I think.  Now *that* is an
unreadable mess :-(

> I havn't actually gotten anything real into PostgreSQL *yet*, but I've
> been spending a fair bit of time on implementing support for SQL Roles
> and have had alot of help developing the approach for best implementing
> it (thanks Tom!) and help with stupid questions (what's a tuple?) from
> a couple developers on IRC (thanks Neil!  thanks Andrew!).

Say, how are you doing on that front?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"No es bueno caminar con un hombre muerto"